This training provides teachers the knowledge to plan effective read-alouds using an explicit, research-based instructional routine that supports oral language, vocabulary development, and comprehension. The training guides teachers as they work through a step-by-step planning process for use with their own fiction and non-fiction texts.
The planning process includes:
- Selecting vocabulary words and creating child-friendly definitions
- Writing effective guiding questions to enhance listening comprehension
- Applying comprehension skills during reading
- Writing in-text talking points
- Creating upward and downward scaffolds to maximize student learning
Each participant will receive a book, and will leave the training with a lesson they planned they can teach the very next day.