Play and Learning Strategies (PALS) is a research-based parenting program that helps parents support their young children’s social-emotional, cognitive, and language development. The program was developed to facilitate parents’ mastery of specific skills for interacting with their infants, toddlers, and preschoolers that lead to a strengthened bond between parent and child, and better child outcomes.
Parent Outcome Highlights from PALS studies:
- 71% of parents used richer vocabulary with their children
- 69% showed greater warmth and sensitivity to their children
- 55% provided more praise to their children
Child Outcome Highlights from PALS studies:
- 72% of children achieved higher motor skills scores
- 64% achieved higher cognitive test scores
- 64% showed greater expressive language skills
- 61% showed more positive affect during parental interactions
- 59% shower larger receptive vocabularies
The PALS program is facilitated by a trained parent educator who presents each session to the parent(s) and coaches the parent(s) in using specific techniques. In coaching sessions, PALS uses videotaped examples of real mothers and children to demonstrate each concept and allows the parent to critique these examples before practicing the new skills with her own child. Guided practice opportunities during each session help parents move from watching to doing.
The PALS Infant and Toddler programs, which includes PALS manuals, toy bags, and supplementary materials, are available for purchase in conjunction with training and certification provided by the Children’s Learning Institute. Materials are available in both English and Spanish.
- PALS 1 Certified Coaching Training: Play and Learning Strategies (PALS) is a preventive intervention program to strengthen the bond between parent and child from birth to 18 months. Through support of a certified coach, parents learn how to stimulate early language, cognitive, and the social development of their child.
- PALS 2 Certified Coaching Training: Play and Learning Strategies (PALS) is a preventive intervention program to strengthen the bond between parent and child from 18 months to prekindergarten. Through support of a certified coach, parents learn how to stimulate early language, cognitive, and the social development of their child.
- PALS 1 & 2 Combined Certified Coaching Training: This 5 day training, is for individuals who wish to become a certified trainer for both PALS 1 and PALS 2.